Sunday, July 30, 2017

Squash the Carrot Cookies


People give me food and I make cookies out of it. This time, it was chubby carrots fresh from the garden. This is how it went down:

Number one: set the oven for 350 degrees and forget to turn on the convection. Not my brightest move.

10 small, but chubby carrots
3 small (6”) yellow squash
1 cup water
8 oz applesauce
2 tbl cinnamon

I put the 2 single serving applesauce contents into the Vita-Mix dry container. I thought I should not add the cinnamon now because it would increase the dryness. I needed this part to be more wet, so, of course, I added it anyway. Yep. That’s how I roll.

I washed the veggies and peeled the carrots. I kept eyeing the yellow squash and thinking that should go in first as it’s wetter. Nope. Sliced the carrots and put those in half at a time. This needed to be tamped to get it going. Then it needed the water. 1 cup to get this to blend and seriously macerate the carrots.

The container was full, so I poured half into a bowl before peeling, slicing, and adding the squash. That’s wetter - did I mention that bit? - so it blended beautifully. This mixture got stirred in with the rest in the bowl.

Next time: put the cinnamon in after the blending is done, and add the wetter vegetable first.

I grabbed the largest measuring cup from the drawer and added ingredients to the bowl. A cup of this and a cup of that, only this wasn’t the one cup measuring cup so…

3/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup rolled oats
3 cups almond meal (or nut-free flour of your choice)
1 pkg dark chocolate chips

I wanted to put in more than 3 cups of almond meal. The mixture was wetter than I normally work with since I had to add water because I don’t listen to myself. However, 3 cups was the end of the currently opened bag of almond meal, so 3 cups is what it got.

Using my now standard baking method: Cover 1 cookie sheet with parchment paper. Empty the contents of the bowl into the middle of the parchment paper. Spread evenly until about 1/4" thick. Well, however thick it gets when it reaches the edges of the sheet. If you have a bit more ambition, or sense, put this on two sheets.

Score with the spatula using a sawing action to slide the chips and seeds to the side. This works much better when it’s only one chunky item in the way. Having two sets of seeds and the chocolate chips meant there were edges that needed a little pat down after the scoring was done.

Bake it for about 1 hour. Had I remembered the convection switch, this might have been a shorter amount of time or at least a more even baking process. Remove from oven, place the second cookie sheet on top of the first. Flip them together. Remove both the first cookie sheet and the parchment paper. Bake for another hour.

In reality, the edges cooked faster than the middle (next time use the convection switch), the flipping bit threw some small cookie pieces off the edge (next time use two sheets, or less water and therefore less dough), 
The parchment paper didn’t peel easily (next time follow the directions from before about baking more before trying to remove the paper).

In the end, these turned out really good. Satisfying with a mellow sweetness, and then you get a burst of dark chocolate chip. So it’s veggies, nuts and seeds which are protein and good fats, applesauce for the fruit, rolled oats for the grain, and dark chocolate chips for the dessert.


No comments: