Saturday, March 11, 2017

Banana-Blueberry Pan-Muffins


The last of our bananas hit "banana bread" stage, so something had to be done with them. I'd read recipes in the past (on FB somewhere) using banana as the basis for pancakes. And so...

Equipment needed:
Medium or Large Bowl, Spoon, 1 cup Measuring cup, Mini-Muffin Molds, Dehydrator (or maybe Oven)

Ingredients
4 small, overly ripe Bananas
2 cups Flour (I used Almond Meal)
6 oz Blueberries (I used fresh)

Peel the bananas and put them in the bowl. Mash them with the spoon. Add flour and mix well. Carefully stir in the blueberries.

Spoon into the mini-muffin molds and tamp carefully. This will be wet and sticky. Fills ~28 molds.

Place the filled molds on the dehydrator rack, set the temperature to 125 degrees, and go about your business - take a nap, read a book, etc. - for about 6 hours.

The plan is to get the top of these muffins dry enough to flip them out of the muffin molds. It might take 8-10 hours given how wet this is. I flipped them at 5 hours because it was time to sleep, and I wanted them out of the molds for the longer part of the dehydrating process. However they were wet enough that they came out a little misshapen and stuck to the rack a bit when I checked them in the morning. I flipped them again so the wetter side was up.

Dehydrate another 10 hours or so (overnight is the best time for me to do this.) Place in the fridge to get a chewier texture.


I love how the blueberries pop in my mouth when eating these. A really nice burst of flavor.

There are certain things in my kitchen that I love to work with and a dehydrator is one of those. I've made dog treats in the cheaper circle-shaped ones previously. To use one of those for these recipes, either get silicone molds that the size and shape fits in them, or the dough can be spread out on the silicone sheets that fit inside the dehydrator. There are silicone ice cube molds that may be okay for baking. Some have really cool shapes too. Candy molds are good to check for this as well.

What's in my kitchen is a 9 rack, square Excalibur dehydrator. It's on the pricey side (like my beloved Vita-Mix). There are smaller, cheaper, square or rectangular dehydrators out there as well.

No comments: